Saturday, August 4, 2012

DIY Wine Cork Needle Threader (Or My First Tutorial)

Happy Saturday to you! I have the day off today, and Dave is working, so that means I've got lots of free time to work on my projects. Next in line is a needle book. Woo!

Today marks the day I make my very first tutorial. As it is my first, I hope it is clear. I really like the photo tutorials that really walk you through what to do so that I know what I'm doing is right. Please leave a comment and let me know if you like it, what I can change, etc. It would be super helpful!

After I saw this tutorial for a felt needle threader, I decided to try it out for myself (by the way, I'm in love with that website - that girl is amazing). However, after trying it out, I decided I needed a little more solid handle. So after lots of thinking and searching through my desk and junk drawer, I found the perfect thing: the Cupcake wine cork I had been saving for something awesome (though I didn't know what). There was already a hole in it from the corkscrew, so that just made it even more perfect. So exciting! Making this classy needle threader was super easy and took almost no time (if you ignore glue drying time). Enjoy!
**Side note: Apologies for the poor quality photos! D:

*          *          *

Supplies Needed

1. Wine Cork

2. Needle Threader

3. Scissors

4. Tacky Glue

5. Masking Tape

6. Paint (Whatever colour you want!)

**I had all these supplies on hand, so total cost was $0!!**

1. Cut the top half of the needle threader off. I also cut the corners off of the bottom just to round it out. NOTE: Don't try to just pull the wire out of the threader. I tried and completely broke it. Luckily I found another threader in my portable sewing kit. Phew!

2. Fold the top of the threader (is it made of aluminum?) in half so it will fit in the hole made by the corkscrew. If there is no hole made by a corkscrew (how did you get it out of the bottle?!), you could always drill one, or if you don't have a drill (like me) you could use a hammer and nail, I suppose. Just please be careful!

3. Fill the hole in the cork with Tacky Glue (or really whatever kind of glue you choose. Tacky Glue has never let me down in the past).

4. Gently push the threader into the hole.

5. Let it dry. Mine took hours to dry - I ended up having to finish it the next morning. To see if the glue was dry I tugged on the wire a little (very gently!) - if there was any give it wasn't ready yet. Also, I found that as it dried, the glue sank down and there was still an indentation. Don't be afraid to put more glue into the hole if you need it - you want it as flush with the top of the cork as possible.

6. After the glue is COMPLETELY dry, use the masking tape and tape off the edge of the cork. It's okay if it isn't perfect, that just makes it individual and special. :-) I decided not to tape off the wire because it is so thin and fragile.

7. Carefully paint an even coat onto the top of the cork. I used Berry Wine from Folk Art - I really love that brand. It seems to come in any colour I need.

8. Let it dry. This only took about an hour. NOTE: I ran my fingernail along the edge of the paint, and it is more than easy to scrape off if you make a mistake. You could always skip this painting part, but I think it looks better painted.

You are finished, my friend!

If you use this tutorial to make your own, please post a link to the picture of your finished product! I would so love to see it!!

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment