Saturday, June 27, 2015

That was a really big frog

Do you ever grab your phone to check something, then as soon as you touch it you instantly forget what you originally wanted it for and end up checking half a dozen other things? Because I do that all the time.

Oh, I should check the weather. *grabs phone*
Shoot, I haven't done my French yet.
I haven't really checked my email all day.
I wonder what the Facebook world is up to.
And Instagram too, I guess.
That's enough for now. *sets phone down*
OH YEAH, WEATHER.

Ridiculous.

In any case, I don't have much to report on today, but I don't want my blog to almost-instantly become a barren wasteland.
Again.


I do have a number of projects going right now.
A picnic blanket that I've been working on for a few years now (I'm just so slow, I guess. Plus it's huge).
A bath mat (my cat puked on my last one, and it had a rubberized bottom so I couldn't clean it).
Some gifts for family members are in the planning stage, as well as favours for my wedding party next month.
A birthday gift that I owe my sister from January (oops).

I guess that's all I can think of right now. It feels like a lot, though.
I haven't made anything for myself in forever. Such sorrow. 

ANYWAY every once in a while I get a little antsy about my WIPs (there are many....), so I decided that I'm going to FROG a few of them. I decided to start with the largest one - a massive pastel rainbow granny square blanket.


This is the Duffle of Doom which once held this blanket. I've avoided dealing with it for years, but it's finally time.


When I say this blanket is big, I really mean it. At the time of frogging, it was about 64" square. And I had only made it through a small portion of the orange. Had I kept going, it probably would have been around 84" square or so.
No one needs a blanket that large. 
No one.
I blame myself, of course. I completely mismeasured what I was doing, and didn't realize it until I had finished the yellow off. I tried to keep going and convince myself that I would indeed use a huge pastel rainbow blanket, but then I couldn't keep up that charade anymore and stopped working on it. So finally I'll have this yarn back for.... other things, I guess. I don't know I don't really have a plan.
BUT THAT'S WHAT MAKES IT FUN.

So I pulled and pulled and pulled and pulled. It took hours
I ended up with really big balls.


THE SHEER SIZE. 


Now, of course, I have a rainbow of yarn and no real ideas what to do with it. I could always save it until I need it, or I could make a MUCH smaller rainbow baby blanket or something, then wait until I need the finished product. 
I mean, it's going to have to wait one way or the other. I have other things to make first! 
If you have any good ideas/patterns/advice, I'd gladly welcome it!

Side note: I'm not good at taking breaks when I craft. This often leads to repetitive stress injuries in my hands, wrists, and elbows. I'm pretty sure that nothing is more embarrassing than saying you hurt your hand crocheting. 
Of course, with such a huge project, I didn't take a break from frogging either, and this was the result:


My wrist was in so much pain the day after, that I had to wrap an ice pack around it for much of the night. 
Lesson learned?
Probably not.

Until next time! Same bat time, same bat channel!

P.S. HAPPY PRIDE!!!!! I am so happy about the latest SCOTUS ruling!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment