Sunday, July 19, 2015

Pattern Review: Crochet Mesh Grocery Tote

I spent this past weekend babysitting my 6 year old nephew and 3 year old niece. 
My brother wanted to take his wife on a weekend trip for their 10 year anniversary, so I stayed at his house and took care of two little kids (mostly) by myself for about 48 hours. 
It was exhausting, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Those two are really good kids, and we had so much fun doing Avengers training (obstacle courses), movie nights (now I have songs from Cinderella stuck in my head), and "cooking" (they have the best collection of play food I've ever seen). Super fun. :-)
Leading up to this weekend, I was trying to think of fun things to do with them. I wanted to do sun-print paper with them, but the store was sold out of it (noooooooo). I brought my baseball glove, but with the heat we didn't even go outside. But I did bring one winner.
Crochet bags. 



Who knew kids would get so excited about crocheted bags? I had originally planned to take them to the library, and the kids could use these to bring home all their books. I handed my nephew his and he said "Wait, these are ours to keep?!" Goof.
They used them all weekend to carry around books, stuffed animals, play food, all sorts of things. They even just snuggled with the bags like a blanket for a little bit. I had put a colouring book in each, but the bags themselves were way bigger hits than those.
Nice.

So I figured I'd share the pattern I used for these bags, in case anyone else needs a quick and easy gift for easy-to-please kids. I've also given this bag as a gift to my mother - I have two of them, and was using one around her, and she loved it. They work so well, and you can fit so much stuff in it since it stretches like crazy. I've used mine as market bags, baseball-gear bags, beach bags, craft supply bags, and probably others that I can't think of now.



I used this market bag pattern from Just Be Crafty. I found it on Pinterest, tried it, and it quickly became my favourite bag pattern. I use standard Sugar n' Cream cotton yarn so that they're easy to clean.

To make different coloured handles, I switch colours at row 36.
To make kid-sized bags, I skipped rows 17-24. To make a long handle (for a messenger-style bag), I just rows of 5 hdc until I got the length I wanted, and slip stitched it to the opposite side of the bag. 
Easy peasy!

That's really all I've got right now. I'm still pretty tired from this weekend, so this post is going to be a little short. 
Until next time! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment