Sunday, August 2, 2015

Free Knit and Crochet Drink Cozy Patterns

I love making cozies. 

Like, to a weird extent. 
I've made cozies for all my water bottles (and my nephew's water bottle). I've made them for my regular drinking glasses.
My favourite cozies to make, though, are the ones that you carry in your bag and use when you stop at a coffee shop or something. The ones that replace those cardboard sleeves. I always carry two in my purse - one for me, and one for my husband (though he's not the biggest fan of using them. I pretty much have to force him into it).

These drink cozies have become my favourite thing to knit, by far. They're super easy and super fast. They make really cute gifts (hence why you should always carry a few around with you - if you meet up with some friends and they go all ga-ga for yours, you can quickly gift them with one of their very own!). They're how I learned to use double pointed needles (and found out that I strangely really love using dpns). They're how I learned to do a stretchy bind off (after trying a regular bind off and being disappointed that it didn't stretch even a little bit). They're how I fell in love with Marblz Knitting Needles (which are so hard to find - only one store I know of in my area carries them). 
The crochet version of these cozies also hold a special place in my heart. They're the first pattern I ever wrote myself. I made them for all my coworkers one year for Christmas - I gave them empty coffee cups filled with candies and a gift card, then just slipped the cozy over the cup. They loved them, and I ended up selling a few to other people who saw them. Score! The only reason I don't really make them anymore is that they don't stretch like knit does, and thus they're not as user-friendly.

So I figured I'd share my patterns with you. They're incredibly easy and perfect for beginners. They're also super nice for when you want a super fast and useful project. They also make GREAT stash buster projects!!


As you can see, you can add all sorts of embellishments onto these cozies - buttons, patches, felt shapes, knit or crocheted appliqués, flowers, whatever! Be creative!! 


For these, I used Sugar n' Cream cotton yarn and a size G hook.

1. Ch 32 and connect to form a circle. Make sure there are no twists!
2. Ch 1. Sc in every ch stitch. Slip stitch into your ch (32 sts).
3. Ch1. Sc in every sc stitch Slip stitch into your ch (32 sts).
4. Ch 1. Sc into 10 sc stitches. 2 sc into the next stitch. Sc into each stitch after in the round. Slip stitch into your ch (33 sts).
5-6. Ch 1. Sc into every sc stitch. Slip stitch into your ch (33 sts).
7. Ch 1. Sc into 20 stitches. 2 sc into the next stitch. Sc into each stitch after in that round. Slip stitch into your ch (34 sts).
8-9. Ch 1. Sc into every sc stitch. Slip stitch into your ch (34 sts).
10. Ch 1. Sc into 30 stitches. 2 sc into the next stitch. Sc into each stitch after in that round. Slip stitch into your ch (35 sts). Knot your yarn and weave in ends. 
If you want a contrasting border
With your second colour, sc into each ch stitch in row 1. Knot your yarn and weave in ends. 
Then sc into each sc in row 10. Knot your yarn and weave in ends.

EASY PEASY, RIGHT?!
(If you have questions, feel free to ask! I'm still not used to writing patterns!)


The knit pattern is even easier. Since it stretches, there's no need for increases. 
I usually use Caron Simply Soft yarn (or really whatever DK yarn I have on hand) and size 9 dpns. 

Cast 32 stitches onto a size 10 straight needle. Divide those stitches evenly onto four dpns (8 stitches per needle).
Knit 30 rounds, or until it's big enough for your hand.
Bind off with a size 10 straight needle (again, I recommend [url=http://slipslipknit.com/?page_id=92]this[/url] bind off method). Knot your yarn and weave in ends. 
This pattern creates rolling edges (like you see in the blue cozy). If you'd prefer them straight, purl rows 2 and 29.


Now go out and show off your new cozies! Show them to the world, and enjoy hands that are neither too hot nor too cold while you enjoy your beverage! 
Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment